I wrote a short (subjective) review of headsets I've tried. Originally, written for We ❤️Remote Work community. Here it is as well!
I like audio so for me it's the most "important" equipment in remote work. What are you using and does it matter for you? Here's review of what I've tried and how I feel about them.
- Jabra Evolve 30 - This is a good affordable and durable headset with good quality. This is what I recommend if someone asks. 3.5mm with USB dongle.
- Jabra Evolve 80 - very good noise cancellation and high quality calls phone calls. Wired, but I broken one as the mic was bent in the case. Very good voice quality bot for mic and listening (can hear the other party accurately). Very nice for noisy locations, works on airplanes. Favorite at the office for important international calls.
- Jabra Evolve 75 Very good microphone. Nice firmware, switches perfectly between devices. Loose fit, does not like temperatures below 0 C. Noise cancellation is not so great but helps a bit. If it had a tighter fit, would be my favorite.
- Plantronics Voyager Focus . Good, tight fit. Firmware is very good - switches perfectly between devices! Noise cancellation is not so good, slightly helpful. Mic voice is a bit dissapointing... Other party does not always hear me clearly. My main headsets as it is overall the most convenient.
- Sony WH-1000xm3 - Slightly better noise cancellation than Evolve 80. Feels light. Music quality is very good, but Evolve 80 feels somehow more "accurate" - better for speech. No mic stand, haven't yet really tried it on phone calls - because the firmware is bad. It does not properly switch between devices or connect properly. I look forward to the device getting a better firmware as otherwise it is very nice. I suppose mic audio can not physically match Evolve 80 since it does not have a stand, although I dont have much experience with it yet.
- Jabra Engage 75 - a DECT contact center headset with a base station with USB. My favorite for office because I can walk across the whole floor without connectivity problems, get coffee etc. Mic audio is "phone call" quality, very clear but not so natural. Helped a lot with marathon Skype calls - I can get coffee, visit the scanner or walk a bit and not miss a beat.
I currently use Engage 75 at the office, Voyager Focus during commute and home, WH-1000XM3 on airplanes, Evolve 80 on co-working places and other noisy locations. If I had to pick just one it's Voyager Focus - but the mic is slightly disappointing...